Saturday, December 20, 2008

Secret Date

This evening I treated Aaron to a 'secret date.' A few weeks ago I had seen a poster for an L.A. Unfolded exhibit at the Central Library. It was showcasing old maps of LA... exactly right up his alley. Rather than telling him any details about it I simply told him to be ready at 3:30 on Dec 20. I was taking my man out! He treats me to many surprises - which I love - so it's about time I returned the favor.

I
fed him hints on the bus ride downtown (whoa - bus riders in LA on a weekend - whoa) and I think he was pleased once he figured it out. The exhibit was pretty interesting. Maps dated back to when the city was first being formed. I got a kick reading the insurance map that detailed the names and occupations of each of the home owners through the streets of historic downtown.

The gallery viewing was followed by dinner at McCormick's (AAFA auction prize) in the US Bank tower across the street. We caught the bus home and were surprised to see the same driver who brought us downtown. He recognized us, too, which was fun.

I don't really consider myself an Angelino, even though I've lived here for the past 4 years, but this evening brought me a little closer to admitting it. I'm a bus riding, public library patron with a bit of historical perspective and a little bit more room in my heart for this place called La La Land.

1 comment: