Sunday, December 14, 2008

4:00 am does exist

Just in case anyone was wondering, 4:00 am does in fact exist. Aaron and I checked this morning - that's what time we woke up to get places in time for the Long Beach Bay Series this morning. That's right, I have started rowing again!

A month or two ago, in search for a 'new' hobby/exercise routine, I found that the UCLA recreation center offers skulling classes and rentals - even to non students/alumni - for a decent price. On my 4th and last class I learned that there were efforts to put together a masters program out of the Marina Aquatic Center where the UCLA classes were taking place. BTW, 'masters' is in no way an indication of skill level, it just lets everyone know that you're past college.

So, 7 years since my days rowing with Beach Crew (check them out, they look all professional now - website and all) and I find myself on a four in Long Beach for a race. It was so fun to be down at the Long Beach boathouse - I saw a few familiar faces, though not as many as I was hoping. A special thank you to Kelley for getting out of bed at an unreasonable hour to watch us pass in front of her apartment!

All said and done I think our boat did pretty well this morning. The other ladies are much better than I am but I'm not beating myself up over it. I figure once I have more than oh, 3 weeks of 'training' under my belt that I will get up to speed and feel like a better contributor to the team.

5 comments:

Baby Talks said...

Cool! Good for you. I'd like to see you in rowing action sometime. :) Not sure if I can get out to the water before sunrise though.. Brrr.

Claris said...

we look so hot. \m/

the really fun thing about rowing is that when you see each other at a normal time of day in "real people" clothes, it's like meeting your friends all over again! ;)

Glad we didn't scare you & Mr. Julie off

amy said...

Congrats, Julie. You look good out there!

ALANNA ON THE MOVE said...

Yay! Back on the water--that must feel so good!

Anonymous said...

Wow Kajulie! That is so awesome! I was just thinking that I should pick up a college hobby again... Few people remember that I actually minored in music at the no. Then again, I have no idea where my flute is... Good for you that you still have the endurance to crew!